Thursday, August 25, 2011

Upper Clackamas

This last week I had the chance to go out on the upper Clackamas River to try out some new flies I have tied up.  The only one that I was really happy with was my interpretation of a Barr's Vis-A-Dun that I tied up.  If I had a fly that I would change out to make fishing a challenge it would have to be this one on the Clack.  It didn't matter where or when I put it on the water, a fish would hit it.  Many times in the past I have worked hard for the diminutive trout in this river and this fly just outperformed itself for sure.


This is a section of the area I chose that is harder to get to due to the brushy bank, on my side at least.  I have found here, that there are larger and more fish in areas that get less pressure.  That results in some interesting and long hikes.  However, I usually find really neat water.

The trip last night resulted in more fish, but they were smaller than what I was looking for.  I also had a new camera man in training, my son Riley, has taken up a new hobby.  I'm excited since photographing fish solo has proven much more difficult than I would like to admit.

I was able to find one 12-13" the day before, but as I said, the capture on fly was easier than on film so it will remain a pleasant memory that I search for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment